What is ETHOS?
What is ETHOS and Who is it for?
There’s a quote by the Athenian General Thucydides that says,
“The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and it’s fighting done by fools.”
If there was a quote that described the point of ETHOS it could indeed be this one.
If you are reading this, likely, you are already physically fit. Compared to other people you know your age, you are probably stronger, faster, more able-bodied. Being physically fit is extremely important. We do, after all, only get one body, so it is important what we take care of it the best we can.
But what about your mental strength or spirituality? How about your purpose? Do you have a strong community of people supporting you?
We often will try to achieve one of these: body, mind, spirituality, purpose, or community, and neglect the others, only to find that we feel out of balance.
What good is being physically fit if you are mentally weak? Do you fold under pressure? What good is being mentally strong if you can’t physically take care of yourself or the people you care about? Spiritually? Even an atheist needs a higher power. If only that’s the Earth, you will eventually return too. What about your purpose? Do you have a reason to get up in the morning? And community, whether that’s your family or your friends, are you the person they need you to be? You have to be the person you need to be for yourself. How can anyone depend on you if you can’t even rely on yourself?
For this, ETHOS was created—a way for you to become the absolute best version of yourself. To make you strong in the five pillars of ETHOS, Mind, Body, Spirit, Purpose, and Community. To make you a badass mother fucker that can do whatever the fuck they set out to achieve. And we accomplish this by spending time developing those five pillars.
Body: Building our bodies through hard physical work. We do this nearly daily at the gym, and when we meet up, we tend to do more extreme workouts, but we also do boxing, rucking, and other activities that aren’t CrossFit specific.
Mind: Strengthening our minds through reading, studying, and pushing ourselves beyond our limits. This is where we start to separate ourselves from the herd. Learning to think better, make better choices. Use logic instead of emotion. Become un-fazable.
Spirit: Connecting with our spirituality by learning to be still and present at the moment. By learning to be still you can, no matter what’s going on, stay calm and in the moment, keep your cool under pressure.
Purpose: Discovering our purpose by finding what makes us tick and motivates us to be better. Finding and working towards what you believe in is the best way to stay motivated and be true to your authentic self.
Community: Building community by spending time with other people who have the same goal: to be the best they can be. We tend to look out to other people to fulfill our own needs, and frequently they let us down. Imagine a place where you have the companionship of other strong-minded people who can help you actually achieve what you set out to do instead of coddling you.
ETHOS isn’t a hobby. It’s not just another opportunity for an extra workout. If that’s what you are looking for, then just do an extra workout at the gym.
ETHOS is a lifestyle, a way of thinking. It’s to get you prepared for anything, and when you feel like you can handle anything, usually you can.
I believe that we are on the precipice of hard times, and maybe you disagree, but as the Ancient Chinese proverb says, “It’s better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.”
RULES OF ETHOS
ETHOS is a philosophy of how to live the best that you can, by becoming the most badass motherfucker you can be. It is not a quick fix, it’s a daily pursuit of becoming better. It’s as simple as that.
- Never Break Trust – ETHOS isn’t a gossip group, if someone shares something personal, keep it to yourself. ETHOS is a safe place to share and grow. This is an expellable offense that has been exercised.
- Do the Work – You only get what you put in. Do the work to the best of your ability, but do it. You have to work all aspects of ETHOS to grow, otherwise, you’re just the guy that skipped leg day.
- Show up as often as you can – The community aspect is a crucial part of ETHOS but it is completely understood that you have other commitments. Show up when you can. If you say you are coming, come, don’t make lame excuses, and don’t be a flake.
- Have Each Others Backs – It’s hard to stand up for what you believe in, especially on your own. But knowing that there are others with the same vision makes it much easier to stand tall.
- Do Not Bitch – ETHOS is not a choose your own adventure book. If you don’t want to do what we are doing, then don’t come. If ETHOS isn’t for you, then don’t be in ETHOS. It’s not an obligation, it’s a choice to be better. If that’s what you want, great. If not, don’t come here and complain, just don’t come.
Buy-in Tasks to Join
ETHOS is included with your membership, so there is no monetary cost. But it isn’t free. The price is your time and your commitment. If you aren’t serious about becoming the best version of yourself, then don’t commit. It isn’t easy, but it’s also not impossible.
These are required to be an ETHOS member. You can do these today, tomorrow, or a year from now; however, they need to be done before you join, or you can’t join.
- 3 Laps around Hillsdale Circle with a 53lb KettleBell for the guys or 35lb Kettlebell for the ladies. Not a dumbbell, not a sandbag, not a backpack: a Kettlebell. It’s around 3.3 miles and can be done in about an hour.
- Get a pair of boxing gloves. It doesn’t have to be anything expensive but get some. Yes, I have some at the gym, but do you really want to use the same nasty gloves as everyone else? I hope not. Get some.
- This assignment
- The current Book we all be reading together. We are starting with Meditations by Marcus Aurelius. GET THE NEW TRANSLATION! Yes, you may have read this already. Good for you. You’ll get more out of it the second time around.
These will be Thursday nights at 6:30pm and Saturday Mornings at 6:30am. On Thursdays, sometimes we will workout, sometimes we will go out. Saturdays will typically be a tough team workout and a short discussion. We will be planning trips as well. Everything we will do will be on a shareable calendar (above) so you can plan accordingly.
You will have required reading and an assignment based on the reading each week. THESE ARE REQUIRED to attend the meetups. Meetup attendance is not required in order to be in ETHOS. You will need the assignment done by Wednesday. Don’t show up unless you have completed it. You will be asked to leave.
Finally, ANYONE and everyone should be a part of ETHOS. If you have physical limitations, then do what you have to do to work around them. Don’t use them as a crutch. There are plenty of people with more restrictions than you can ever manage that don’t make excuses and become the stuff of legends.
ETHOS is an amazing opportunity to really level up. Use it as that. No more excuses. No more victim mentality. Just hard work and dedication to becoming a badass mother fucker.